I would like to cancel my appointment because my symptoms have disappeared. How can I do that?
- Send an e-mail with the reason why you want to cancel via the link in your admission letter or call us. We will let the referring doctor know that you have canceled your appointment.
Can I take my usual medications in the morning?
- Yes, but you may not take any diuretic tablets and tablets for diabetes.
I have eaten seeds in the days up to my appointment because I received my appointment with a very short notice. What then?
- We are aware of that you cannot always adhere to the rules when we call you in on a short notice. Refrain from seeds as long as you can.
May I take HUSK/SylliFlor (fibre supplement) as I usually do up to the examination?
- No, you have to refrain from fibre suppements from 4 days before your examination. If you are called in on a short notice, stop as quickly as possible.
Why can I not take iron tablets in the days before the colonoscopy?
- The iron will make it difficult to be sufficiently empty and it creates a green film on the mucous membrane. If you are called in on a short notice stop taking the iron tablets as quickly as possible.
Can I wear jewelry at the examination?
- We recommend that you do not wear jewelry at your examination since they are electrical conductors and can get stuck when you need to move around on the examination bed.
When does the purgative work?
- As described above it works after approximately 1 hour, and diarrhoea will be over approximately 1½-2 hours later. It is individual when the purgative works. If your faeces is watery then the purging is sufficient.
What happens if I take the purgative earlier than 8 pm and 5 hours before my appointment?
- From experience we know that 6-7 hours after you take the purgative, regular faeces will start coming down to the right side of the colon. That means the doctor/endoscopy nurse cannot see the mucous membrane and in the worst case scenario, you will have to do the purging all over and schedule a new appointment.
Is it possible to conduct the colonoscopy while I have my period?
- Yes, the examination can still be conducted. You can bring extra sanitary pads/tampons into the examination room.
Why am I not allowed to drive a vehicle or a bicycle after the examination? And when am I allowed to again?
- If you get medicine to help you relax or relieve pain during your examination, your power of concentration and reaction are reduced considerably. It corresponds to consuming alcohol or drugs. Out of consideration for traffic and work safety you must not drive a vehicle, work equipment and bicycles for 24 hours after your examination.
Can I go to work right after the colonoscopy?
- We recommend that you take the rest of the day off, so you/your body can recover from fasting and purging.
Why did I get a message about taking a break from blood thinning medication, when you usually can continue taking it?
- Some types of blood thinning medications can affect the bloods ability to coagulate enough, that severe complications can occur if we are not aware that you are taking that type of medication. That is why we sometimes ask you to take a break from your blood thinning treatment and if necessary give you something else in stead.
When will my stomach return to normal again after the examination?
- Some patients experience having different faeces (consistency and frequency) for some time after the purging - it varies from a few days to 1-2 weeks.
Is there a risk of me having faeces in my pants on my way to my appointment?
- We have studied this and the risk is very small - it rarely happens.